There are plenty of streaming services to choose from, like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu. However, their horror selections can be pretty weak. Luckily, AMC’s Shudder exists, a service that deals only with horror movies and TV shows. The streaming service has revealed what’s new for August, and there is plenty to watch, especially if you love ’80s horror.
When the folks at GameSpot are talking about horror movies, I try my hardest to work in a reference to the 1987 horror film/borderline musical Slumber Party Massacre II. I once even got to write a tiny piece about it. Well, it’s time to talk about my favorite cheesy horror movie of the ’80s once again because it’s coming to Shudder on August 5. The movie follows Courtney, who was the younger sister of the “New Girl Across The Street” in the first film. She’s in a band with some friends, and they go to a condo for the weekend to rock out with their boyfriends. That doesn’t sound much like a horror movie, especially when the film has three different song breaks. However, Courtney is haunted by visions of her sister, who is locked up in an insane asylum, and eventually (like WAY later), a rockabilly guitarist is on the prowl, killing off everyone with his drill-guitar…and dancing in the living room for some reason. Please watch this, so I have someone to talk about it with.
If you like your antagonists to have more depth and not be an amalgamation of things producers thought looked cool in 1987, then you’ll be excited to learn that a slew of Freddy Krueger movies are coming to Shudder on August 1. You can relive all the over-the-top dream murders from the first six A Nightmare on Elm Street movies and check out the 2010 documentary Never Sleep Again, which chronicles the film franchise.
AMC’s horror TV series NOS4A2, based on the Joe Hill novel, has its first episode drop on August 8 with new ones arriving every Thursday. The series follows an artist who has the ability to track Charlie Manx, an immortal who feeds on the souls of children and dumps their corpses in Christmasland, Manx’s bizarre Christmas village.
Below, you’ll find everything headed to Shudder in August, and please, watch Slumber Party Massacre II when you get the chance.
Coming to Shudder in August
- Raising Cain (1992, Brian De Palma)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street II: Freddy’s Revenge (1985)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street III: Dream Warriors (1987)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street IV: The Dream Master (1988)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street V: The Dream Child (1989)
- Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)
- Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (2010)
- The Slumber Party Massacre (1982, Amy Holden Jones)
- Slumber Party Massacre II (1987, Deborah Brock)
- NOS4A2 (2019) — New episodes on Thursdays through October 10
- Chopping Mall (1986, Jim Wynorski)
- Get My Gun (2017, Brian Darwas)
- Why Horror? (2014, Nicolas Kleiman and Rob Lindsay)
- Incident in a Ghostland (2018)
- Bad Moon (1996, Eric Red)
- Hell Night (1981, Tom DeSimone)
- Humanoids From the Deep (1980, Barbara Peeters and Jimmy T. Murakami (uncredited))
- The Love Witch (2016, Anna Biller)