Prosecutors are looking to force El Chapo to pay back $12.6 billion that he made through drug sales in the United States (pictured $1.5 million found during a raid of El Chapo’s home)
Daily Mail: That money belongs to us: Mexican President risks feud with Trump by demanding El Chapo’s $12.6bn drug money be turned over to Mexico and NOT the US – after slamming Narco’s life sentence in US jail as ‘inhumane’
* Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador will seek to recoup Joaquín ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán’s fortune
* The leftist leader says all of El Chapo’s assets belong to the ‘Mexican people’ and not the United States
* He also called El Chapo’s jail conditions ‘inhumane’ after he was sentenced to life in jail plus 30 years
* A US judge also ordered him to pay American authorities $12.6billion they estimate he made as head of the Sinaloa Cartel
* Prosecutors also seized El Chapo’s considerable current assets
Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador is preparing himself for a showdown with the United States over Joaquín ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán’s fortune.
El Chapo was sentenced to life in jail at a New York City court this week by a federal judge who also ordered him to pay US authorities $12.6 billion – the figure he is estimated to have earned from drug trafficking as the head of the Sinaloa Cartel.
But on Thursday, López Obrador argued that the funds should be returned to El Chapo’s home country of Mexico.
He also demanded that the US return the assets they had already seized from the gang leader. The US government estimates El Chapo’s fortune at $14 billion.
Read more ….
WNU Editor: ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán’s Sinaloa Cartel murdered thousands in Mexico and destroyed the lives of millions of Americans and the Mexican President is declaring his jail conditions as “inhumane” ?!?!?!? As for the money. What struck me about this sentencing is that the U.S. wants $12.6 billion of his $14 billion fortune. In other-words, they are willing to leave $1.4 billion for his wife and family. I think Guzman made a deal knowing that he was going to be convicted, and in return told U.S. authorities where his wealth is so that his family will do without. As for the Mexican President’s demand for his money. If Guzman’s money and assets are in the U.S. and in other jurisdictions that the U.S. has treaties with that pertain to criminal law and forfeiture, Mexico is going to have a problem to collect. Something that I suspect Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador is well aware of.